town sign
ART BARN 1
Town Hall
REDBOOT
efcourthouse
ARTBARN

Town History;

Clinton was founded in 1824 to be the seat of the newly created Parish of East Feliciana. It was located on high ground near Pretty creek, on a tract of land that had been granted by the Spanish government to Lewis Yarbrough. Susan and John Bostwick and James Holmes purchased it from Yarbrough and after donating three lots to the new town—one for the courthouse one for a spring (which still flows) and one for a jail—then subdivided the rest and sold lots in the new Town of Clinton. By 1830 the community was booming. Clinton became known as the legal center of the area, and when the Clinton and Port Hudson railroad was established in the mid 1830’s, the town found prosperity as the cotton trading center for a large area. This prosperity is reflected in the still handsome buildings of Antebellum and Victorian design which grace the town’s streets. The Town of Clinton was incorporated in 1852.

 

Visit the Historic Court House at Clinton Louisiana (c.1840) Reputed to be the oldest courthouse in continuous use,this National Historic Lankmark is located on St. Helena Street. The structure is enhanced by night lighting.

Attractions in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana

Stonehenge

Stonehenge (ca. 1837) This private residence, in Clinton, LA. was built by Lafayette Saunders who was also designed the East Feliciana Parish Court House.

cfiles64528

Clinton Water Tower

lawyersrow

Regional Library as well as private businesses. The library has a Louisiana and genealogy collection and the building is also a National Historic Landmark. Located on Woodville Street in Clinton, LA

Frist Baptist Church

Frist Baptist Church (ca.1852) Clinton, LA.

The Fuqua House

The Fuqua House (ca.1870) located on Plank Road in Clinton LA. This restored private residence is constructed of heart pine and cypress.

Brame - Bennett House

Brame - Bennett House (ca.1840) This private residence, in Clinton, LA. is a Greek Revival structure included in the American Buildings Survey. It has been placed on the National Register.

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

St. Andrews Episcopal Church (ca 1871) Clinton, LA. Beautiful Victoria Gothic style with lovely stained glass and original chandeliers. This site has been placed on the National Register.

Marston House

Marston House (ca.1837) Established as the Union Bank and constructed by Henry Marston, this Greek Revival structure still has the original bank vault. Currently home to the Garden Club, the house is rented for private functions. Located on Bank Street in Clinton and listed on the National Register.

cfiles22288

Sillman Institute Clinton, LA (c.1840-1860). Previously a Female Collegiate Institute and served as a hospital during the Civil War. Currently in use as a private academy. Located on Bank Street in Clinton.

Media

The 2005 film The Dukes of Hazzard was filmed in and around Clinton.  

                                        
The 1972 made for TV movie, "Moon of the Wolf

", was filmed in and aoround Clinton. Many scenes utilize the Courthouse square, the old hospital, the jail and homes in the area. This werewolf film starred David Janssen and Barbara Rush.

 

The 1972 film Sounder was also filmed in around Clinton, including locations in East Feliciana and St. Helena parishes. The Long, Hot Summer, a 1958 film directed by Martin Ritt, starring Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Tony Franciosa, and Orson Welles, was filmed in around Clinton. The film is based on stories by William Faulkner.

 

Some scenes not included in the 1991 picture JFK were filmed in Clinton. The HBO hit series True Blood currently has a five year conract with the town.

 

The  2016 The Free State of Jones will be filmed partly in Clinton.

 

 

town sign

Welcome to The Town Of Clinton